I haven’t posted an update on my truck since last October. Not to my blog anyhow, mostly small updates via Facebook and G+. A great deal of my updating etc has been on the CT4WD site under the Member Build thread as the 91 4Runner 22RE storm chasing build.
It’s been a LOT of work, a lot of learning, and I may or may not have invented entirely new swear words in the process. The truck has been torn down to it’s block, and built back up. The interior stripped completely bare – plastic molding, carpet, dash, instrument panel, seats… everything.
Now a days you could almost mistake it for a truck again! It’s been mostly repainted (still one side + the roof to finish), the plastic molding has been cleaned and repainted, the dash cleaned and painted, the instrument panel cleaned and prepped with additional wiring for future gauges.
It’s got a rebuilt cylinder head, new ARB front shocks, all new brakes, new and upgraded master cylinder from an FJ80 to boost braking power. New timing chain, timing chain cover, water pump, and oil pump. The throttle body and intake have been stripped down and cleaned thoroughly. Vacuum tubes replaced with all new heat resistant silicone hoses. Wiring harnesses stripped of their old coverings and tape and redone. New spark plugs. Injectors cleaned up with new o-rings and grommets… and that’s where I ran into what seemed an insurmountable problem. I went through installing the injectors 4 times, and I always ended up with one leaking. To work on the injectors, you have to take the entire intake off, remove the fuel rail and injectors.. and then put it all back together. Not a quick process.
It was frustrating enough that I came up with a fairly good urban mechanic trick to help me troubleshoot.
I hooked up my GoPro HD, connected the HDTV out to an lcd tv, and then positioned the GoPro as needed.
Which let me see this…
And that’s where I’ll pick things up as current.
I’m going be reminding myself frequently that progress is progress. With the help of a super amazing neighbour, the fuel injectors were quickly sorted out. It was one of those things that required someone who had seated fuel injectors before, and knew what to look for. In this case what to look for was a complete newb failing to put insulators in the injection ports.
I think I probably set a personal record today for getting the intake and fuel rail etc off and reinstalled. 40 minutes. Gave the fuel pump a couple kicks, no leaks! Win!
Turn the key in the ignition… no start. Fail!
Once again I broke out the GoPro and moved the screen to a new position so I could see it from inside the truck. Pulled one of the distributor wires, removed the spark plug, seated the spark plug back into the wire and then clamped it to hold it still and isolate it from the engine. Ran a 14 awg wire from engine ground to the spark plug, stripped off about 1.5 inches and positioned the bare wire about a 1/2″ from the tip of the plug.
Checked the connectors of all 4 spark plugs, they seem solid, as does the connector from the ignition coil to the distributor.
Started checking resistance… and promptly discover the other 3 spark plug connectors do NOT want to come out. At all. After wiggling one of them loose finally, I discover that the connector end that attaches to the spark plug is still attached to the damned spark plug. Had to gently work it loose with a pair of channel locks. So my new problem is to replace those wires. I’m just hoping I can find someone who has some kicking around they aren’t attached to!